Law 44: Disarm and infuriate with the mirror effect
- When you mirror exactly what your enemies do, they cannot figure out your strategy
- The mirror effect mocks and humiliates them, making them overreact
- Hold a mirror to their psyches and you’ll seduce them and they’ll think they share your values
- Mirror their actions and they learn lessons
I always felt this law kind of overlapped a lot with the other laws. At least in the way I interpreted it. I figured the law means to mirror what others are currently saying/doing so that they feel that you are “one of the group.” Other laws that touch on this include:
- Pose as a friend, work as a spy
- Think as you like, but behave like others
- Never outshine the master
- Always say less than necessary
The other way I’ve heard this law interpreted is to “mirror” your opponent to mock them. Obviously this causes them to get angry and lose frame. A powerful way to discredit your opponent.
Support The Author! Buy The Book!