The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate
By: Gary Chapman
If your spouse’s love language is quality time, giving him or her your undivided attention is one of the best ways you can show your love. Some men pride themselves on being able to watch television, read a magazine, and listen to their wives, all at the same time. That is an admirable trait, but it is not speaking the love language of quality time.
Instead, you must turn off the TV, lay the magazine down, look into your mate’s eyes, and listen and interact. To your spouse, 20 minutes of your undivided attention – listening and conversing – is like a 20-minute refill of his or her love tank.
Men, if you really want to impress your wife, the next time she walks into the room while you are watching a sporting event, put the television on mute and don’t take your eyes off her as long as she’s in the room. If she engages you in conversation, turn the TV off and give her your undivided attention. You will score a thousand points and her love tank will be overflowing.
- Make Date Nights a weekly event. Even if you can’t afford a babysitter, plan a night at home that is yours alone.
- When your spouse asks to talk to you about something, put your smart phone or iPad down and make eye-contact with them while they speak.
- Use the questions from Connect Like You Did When Your First Met on a regular basis to enrich your conversation about things you might not think to discuss.
- Go to bed at the same time, even if at times you have to get up after they’ve fallen asleep. It’s meaningful for them to know that you’ve purposed to spend that time right before sleep together.
- Go for walks together after dinner. Even if the kids join you, the time spent will mean a lot.
Support the Author! Buy The Book!